Does Your Garbage Disposal Leak?
Garbage disposals are a valuable feature inside a kitchen. They make disposing of foods simple, and help reduce landfill waste. They are a great time-saving and convenient part of a home. But, if the floor is wet after using your garbage disposal, you find the area under your sink is wet, or you notice a foul smell coming from the garbage disposal unit, it is quite likely you have a garbage disposal leak.
Types of Garbage Disposal Leaks
Repairing a garbage disposal leak can be more complicated than you think due to there being several parts that can spring a leak. To diagnose where the leak is originating from, it is important to conduct a thorough search of the unit.
- Sink flange leak
- Failure of plumber’s putty
- Dishwasher connection leak
- Leak in the discharge pipe
- Crack in the garbage disposal unit
- General pipe leak
How To Maintain Your Garbage Disposal
Properly caring for and maintaining your garbage disposal unit is key to its longevity.
- Keep your unit clean. Regularly pour soap down the disposal unit and let cold water run for a few seconds to keep your unit clean
- Use your garbage disposal frequently. Regular usage will help prevent rust and corrosion
- Use cold water to run your disposal. This will prevent oil and grease from becoming solid
- Do not turn off the motors before grinding is completed. Let the water run for approximately 15 seconds after grinding is completed
- Do not use bleach or drain cleaners in the garbage disposal
- Never put combustible materials, cigarette butts, and try and avoid grease, fat, and oil down the drain
If you suspect you have a garbage disposal leak, you can try to repair it yourself, or you can call in the professionals. A leak in your garbage disposal leak can turn into a more severe problem if not looked after right away. With so many possibilities of what might be causing the leak, we’d love to help. We are efficient, professional and have years of experience repairing garbage disposal leaks.
Give us a call at 972-342-3709.