A natural gas leak can be a serious problem in your home, and is one that should never be ignored or taken lightly. If a slow leak is left too long it can quickly escalate into a more dangerous situation, causing unexplained illness or even an explosion.
Natural Gas Fact: Natural gas is odorless; however, the sulfur or rotten egg smell we associate with natural gas is something gas companies add to the gas to help alert people to a leak in order to prevent a disaster.
Do you know where your shut off valve is located?
In the event of an emergency or leak, you may need to stop the flow of gas into your home. You do this by turning off the gas at the shut-off valve. You should only shut off a valve if you smell gas, can hear the sound of gas escaping, can see a broken gas line or suspect a gas leak. You will use a wrench to turn off the gas. Rotate the valve one-quarter turn.
Gas appliances in your home will also have a shut off valve specific to their direct line input. In some cases, such as if you know it’s your gas stove or bbq with the leak, you can turn off gas to that appliance directly.
When dealing with a suspected gas leak and natural gas in general, it is important to have a professional assist, especially when determining it is okay to turn the gas back on.
It’s important to have a qualified professional inspect the line, do a safety check, properly restore gas and light any appropriate pilot lights.
Since slow gas leaks can escalate quickly, we recommend you call Moore’s Plumbing - Mesquite at 972-342-3709 if you suspect a gas leak. We have same-day, emergency service available when you need it.
As professional plumbing and heating experts with years of experience, we can quickly detect and repair gas leaks so you have the peace of mind you need for your family’s health and safety.
If you suspect you have a slow leak or require assistance with your shut offs, please call us at 972-342-3709.