Water leaks behind walls are often referred to as hidden plumbing leaks. Because they are not visible, wall leaks are often not noticed until serious water damage has already occurred. The most common causes of wall leaks in a home are slow leaks in pipes, appliances and plumbing fixtures. If not repaired, water wall leaks can cause water damage in your home.
Signs to Look For If You Suspect a Wall Leak
- Peeling paint
- Water stain or ceiling stain
- A musty smell
- Mold or mildew
- A water-warped wall or ceiling
How to Check For A Water Leak?
We always recommend calling a professional plumber to help determine if there is a water leak, assess the situation and identify the leak. Assessing the situation can be difficult if you do not have a plumbing background. That being said, here’s one way to help you determine if you might have a hidden plumbing leak: read your meter.
- Shut off all appliances that use water including washing machine, sprinkler system, dishwasher etc.
- Locate your water meter and record the current water usage number
- Wait a couple hours and then re-check and record the water usage number. During this time it is essential nobody is using any water in your home. If you record an increase in water usage even though no water was used in your home, you could be dealing with a water leak.
Wall leaks are hard to notice, so if you see a rapid increase in your water bill without obvious signs of more use, it is wise to run this meter test. Unfortunately, most wall leaks are only identified once water damage has already occurred.
How To Determine the Location of A Water Wall Leak?
It can be difficult to determine the location of your water leak. It could be anything from your sprinkler system to your ice maker water supply line. Common places include underneath sinks, in the bath or shower, the toilets, and the water heater. Your pipes are hidden behind your walls and the best way to determine the location of a wall leak is to call a professional plumber.
Moore’s Plumbing is experienced in detecting and repairing wall leaks in Mesquite. If you are concerned about a possible invisible wall leak in your home or business, please contact us so we can help assess and fix the situation.
Contact Moore’s Plumbing at 972-342-3709 to book an appointment today.